The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers a number of online resources for military members and their families. Some of these resources include:
- IRS Free File. This program offers online tax preparation, electronic filing and direct deposit of refunds, at no cost.
- Members of military and their families who have income below $72,000 can choose from any of the Free File tax software companies that the IRS has compiled.
- Free File Fillable Forms is available for those who have income above $72,000.
- Using Free File can help taxpayers figuring things like their earned income tax credit, child and dependent care credit and Recovery Rebate Credit.
- Miltax is another free tax resource available for the military community, offered through the Department of Defense.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific, individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov6
Footnotes and Sources
- IRS.gov, February 25, 2021