The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a tool called Free File, which offers online tax preparation, direct deposit of refunds, and electronic filing choices. This tool can be helpful for taxpayers on a fixed budget, including seniors and retirees. Here are some things to know about the tool:
- IRS Free File can be found at IRS.gov and features some big names in the tax software provider world.
- To use the tool, taxpayers can browse multiple offers.
- The eligibility standards for using Free File depend on the tax partner, but they are usually based on income, age, and state residency.
- Free File has a majority of the most common forms needed when filing your taxes. Even if you have a unique tax situation, you may still be able to use Free File.
- Some Free File products are available in Spanish.
- You can also search for credits and deductions in Free File.
- Some providers in Free File also offer state return preparation. You can use the lookup tool in Free File to find the tax partner that might be appropriate for your state requirements.
- Taxpayers can access Free File through their computers, smartphones, or tablets. The site is designed for mobile usage.
*This information is not intended to substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov6
Footnotes and Sources
- IRS.gov, January 23, 2023