Deductions or credits not used fully one tax year that may be eligible to be carried over into future years include:
- When you have a net operating loss
- When your total expenses for a permitted deduction exceed the amount you’re allowed to deduct in a given year
- When a credit you qualify for exceeds the amount of tax you owe in a year
- Adoption tax credits
- Foreign tax credits
- Credits for energy efficiency
Track these (or have your software do it) so that you don’t forget them from one year to the next.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific, individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from Credit Karma6
Footnotes and Sources
- Credit Karma, December 9, 2020