Two education credits are available to American taxpayers: the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC). The IRS has lots of information about these two credits on their site, but here are some helpful highlights:
- The AOTC is allowed for expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment not necessarily paid to the educational institution but needed for attendance.
- There is a four-year limit on claiming the AOTC but no limit on the number of years you can claim the LLC.
- To claim either credit, use Form 8863.
- The AOTC is worth up to $2,500.
- To claim the full credit, your modified adjusted gross income must be $80,000 or less.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific, individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov6
Footnotes and Sources
- IRS.gov, March 20, 2020