It’s essential to choose a tax preparer that is suitable for your needs as well as reliable and ethical. After all, taxpayers are responsible for the info on their return, regardless of who prepared it.
Here are some tips from the IRS on how to choose a tax preparer who meets your needs:
- Check the IRS Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers
- Check the preparer’s history with the Better Business Bureau
- Ask about fees
- Ask if the preparer plans to use e-file
- Make sure the preparer is available
- Ensure the preparer signs and includes their preparer tax identification number
- Understand the preparer’s credentials
Choosing a reputable and reliable tax preparer can help protect you and your tax return.
*This information is not intended to substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov7
Footnotes and Sources
- IRS.gov, September 20, 2022