Tax Tip: You Have the Right to Retain Representation When Working with the IRS

As part of the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, you have the right to retain an authorized representative to represent you when dealing with the IRS. If you can’t afford representation, seek help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC).

An authorized representative can represent you in interviews, audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes with the IRS and in court. Authorized representatives include attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents, enrolled actuaries, or any other person who has submitted a written power of attorney to represent you.

*This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.

Tip adapted from IRS.gov7

Footnotes and Sources

  1., September 19, 2022