Tax Tips: You May Be Able to Deduct Childcare Expenses

If you pay for childcare, so that you can work or look for a job, you may be able to deduct those expenses on your federal tax return. Here’s what the IRS wants you to know:

  • You can only deduct expenses for the care of a qualifying dependent, such as a child under age 13.
  • You must be paying for care that allows you or your spouse to work.
  • Qualifying care includes home care, daycare, or a day camp. Overnight camps, summer school tutoring, or care by other dependents do not qualify.
  • You must have earned income in the year that you incur childcare expenses. The expense limit is $3,000 for one qualifying dependent or $6,000 for two or more.

For more information about deductions for dependent care, visit or consult a qualified tax advisor.

* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.

Tip adapted from[8]
[8], January 30, 2020