Did you know that an independent organization within the IRS is fighting for your rights as a taxpayer? The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) protects taxpayers’ rights by ensuring that all taxpayers are treated fairly and know and understand their rights under the Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Here are some things to know about TAS:
- TAS can help taxpayers resolve problems they haven’t been able to settle with the IRS on their own.
- The service is free.
- TAS helps all taxpayers and their representatives, including individuals, businesses, and exempt organizations.
- If taxpayers qualify for TAS help, an advocate will be with them at every turn and do everything possible to assist throughout the process.
- TAS also handles large-scale problems that affect many taxpayers.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov7
Footnotes and Sources
- IRS.gov, July 19, 2022