Tax Tip: What to Know About Nonemployee Compensation

If you hire an independent contractor for your business, you are generally not responsible for withholding income taxes, Social Security, or Medicare taxes from their compensation. However, by law, business taxpayers who pay nonemployee compensation of $600 or more must report these payments to the IRS.

You can report these payments using Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation. Generally, Form 1099-NEC is due by January 31. The compensation you report is subject to backup withholding if your business has not provided a Taxpayer Identification Number to the payer or the TIN doesn’t match. It’s important to be aware of this rule regarding nonemployee compensation because employees and contractors are taxed differently, but you need to note if your payments exceed the $600 limit.

* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.

Tip adapted from IRS.gov5

Footnotes and Sources

  1., August 8, 2022