Tax Tips: How to Amend Your Return

If you discover that you’ve made an error on your tax return, you may need to file an amended return. Though you don’t need to file if you’ve made a simple math error or left out forms (the IRS corrects for those automatically), you should file an amended return for any missed credits, deductions, filing status, or income.

  • Use Form 1040X to file an amended return.
  • You’ll need to use separate forms for each year that you need to amend.
  • If you use any other forms or need to submit new documentation, attach them to the 1040X form.
  • Pay any additional taxes you owe as soon as possible to avoid accruing additional interest and penalties.

* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.

Tip adapted from[8]
[8], June 4, 2019